Friday, May 7, 2010

Day 3

Woke up at 4AM to the cacophony of nature rising. Roosters, birds, cows, Turkish Muslim karaoke prayer blaring through speakers behind my room. Great. Today was also Work Day One. Same day I got over the glamour of working on a farm.

Started wıth a tour of the vegetable garden. Could handle that. Weedıng. Could handle that. More weeds. On ıt, but the mıdday sun was wearing me down. Lunch + nap. Then things started to get rough.

Canal dıggıng ıs what really got me. Today I developed a newfound appreciation for the irrigation methods devised by mankind. AKA bitch ass hard labor. Thank Allah the original ditches were dug by tractors. I should really get reacquaınted wıth the merits of mudslinging. Would have complemented the hand hoe well. Anyhoo, still need to get over a few things. Like giant beetles, riding/drivıng a motorcycle, and the responsibility of the vıneyard, pomegranate groves, and baby olives for the next 2 weeks when the owners are away. ACK!

Some highlights... (a) seeing a land turtle, (b) poking it, (c) watching the hunchback neighbor weed whacking with a giant sickle in a moth-eaten orange vest likely knitted by his grandma. Badass mofo.

Came home exhausted but had the sense to cook dinner. That's right. 3 Chinese dishes to make my mom proud. Then closed the night wıth a pirated, super cheesy, Jennıfer Love Hewıtt movie that the shaman insisted had changed his lıfe. This place ıs a hoot.

2 comments:

  1. I really hope the shaman's life was changed by the movie "Can't Hardly Wait", because I've always wanted to have something in common with the shaman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Only was the movıe name. Watch at your peril. I asked if it was going to be cheesey at the beginning and then spent the rest of the movıe making fun of it wıth the neighbor hippie.

    ReplyDelete